The Most Beautiful Thing In The World… Sleep

Photo courtesy of Sleep Advisor

“If you’re going to do something tonight that you’ll regret tomorrow morning, sleep late” (Youngman). 

Sleep is arguably one of the most peaceful experiences, but I think it’s the most beautiful thing ever. Not only does this blissful activity help rest the human body, but it does more than we are aware of. The communication of nerve cells, rest, and repair of almost every type of tissue and system of the body are all done during unconscious rest. A lack of sleep can cause disorders such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes, and depression. One must regulate their sleep and make sure they have a healthy balance between sleeping and not sleeping, or they could have some serious issues that can harm them mentally or physically in the long run. As a senior in high school, students like myself often fall asleep in class or are on the verge of doing so. Students have to balance work, school, sports, clubs, and their social life. This can be very time-consuming and overwhelming, which is why many students are not getting enough sleep. Hence, many students arrive at school notably fatigued. This often affects how those students perform academically in classes, which is even more detrimental to the students trying to balance their responsibilities. 

One can imagine how many times faculty catch a student sleeping during class, but what do they think?

The school assistant librarian, Mrs. Stieve, remarked, “Who doesn’t love sleep?!?! 95% of students I see always come in tired. It’s so impossible because you guys are doing so much even when you are being told to get sleep. Get as much sleep as you can even if it means catching a nap between activities”  Mrs. Stieve is right to advise students to get as much sleep as possible. We all love our sleep, but our schedules get in the way, so try to take a break from time to time and catch a nap. Resting your mind and body that is constantly working 24/7 will do wonders and leave you feeling better than you did before. But how much sleep should you be getting each night?

Individuals aged thirteen to eighteen are recommended to get at least ten hours of sleep regularly (Cleveland Clinic). With that said, I highly encourage all students to try cutting down on unnecessary activities and make a schedule of when to do their school work, so they can create a better routine and go to bed earlier. Not only will you feel more rested, less stressed, and more focused, but you will also be in a better mood. Starting your day with a good attitude can defeat endless possibilities awaiting you throughout your day, SO GET SOME SLEEP. RIGHT at THIS MOMENT!

Now that I have made my point, I am going to sleep.