A Chapter Ends
A Chapter Ends
June 19, 2024
The End of an Era
The End of an Era
June 19, 2024
Finishing Strong
Finishing Strong
June 14, 2024

Start of Girl’s Lacrosse, Where do they Stand?

Photo courtesy of Annie Norton.

The James Caldwell High School’s Spring sports have kicked off and the Girls’ Lacrosse team stands at 1-6. The team consists of 4 seniors and a lot of underclassmen.  Having a win on April 9th against Kinnelon (Final score: 13-4) gave the girls hope. The team is coached by Coach Giampino-Vasi, with Captains Teagan Quinn (senior), Mackenzie Durkin (senior), Nicole Costigan (senior), and Mia Martinez (senior). 

To the Chiefs advantage, the team has three college bound athletes: Teagan Quinn is going to Drexel University for lacrosse, Mackenzie Durkin is going to Muhlenberg College for lacrosse, and Nicole Costigan to Moravian University for lacrosse. Otherwise, however, the team is fielding a bunch of new players, mostly freshmen who are just starting to kick in and learn the game. 

Photo courtesy of Annie Norton.

The team has been missing some stand-out players from the previous year that include Lily Caravela who is now a freshman at Temple University for lacrosse. But nothing is going to stop the team’s motivation to have a good season. Captains Mia Martinez and Mackenzie Durkin had this to say about the team’s rocky start and their plans for the rest of the season: 

Mia Martinez: “We have had a rough go because we are such a young team that is trying to fill roles on varsity. We can improve by working better together, being more positive, and going in with a better attitude that we want to win.” 

Mackenzie Durkin: “We are a very young team, so we are brand new. We are finally connecting with each other. We can improve by being more open with each other, and when we are not understanding things, ask questions or being more confident.” 

Photo courtesy of Annie Norton.

The two captains said it perfectly. They know where they are standing, but they know what is needed to improve. It is only the start of the season, and it is only a matter of time before the Caldwell Girls Lacrosse team becomes more successful. The most important thing is being confident, more positive, and working together as both Martinez and Durkin said while being interviewed. 

One especially bright up-and-comer is Chelsea Rudden, the team’s  goalie, who already stands at 131 saves out of 166 goals shot against her as a sophomore. Although these girls have a rough start in the beginning of their season, as said, it is only the beginning and they have many games left to go. Being the underdog is a good thing. No team or players will expect what’s coming, but they will put up any fight needed.