Photo courtesy of TMZ.
NBA All-Star Weekend
March 14, 2024
Photo courtesy of Kevin Winter/Getty Images via The Recording Academy.
Grammy's Recap
March 14, 2024

Taylor Swift’s Midnights: A Track-by-Track Review

Taylor Swifts Midnights: A Track-by-Track Review

Photo courtesy of Entertainment Weekly

On October 21, 2022, Taylor Swift released her 10th studio album, Midnights. The album opened to a jaw-dropping 1.5 million first-week sales in the US alone. Overseas, the album has sold more than 3 million copies. It now holds the title as the highest debut for an album on Spotify with 186 million streams. Tracks from the album held the entire top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 in its debut week, with the lead single “Anti-Hero” coming in at number 1. This is my track-by-track review of the standard version, which consists of 13 tracks. 

1. “Lavender Haze” 

The album opens with “Lavender Haze,” a song with a sultry pop sound that sounds like it was made for the Top 40 (which is not a negative thing). The track has a runtime of just over 3 minutes, and every second is enjoyable. The verses are catchy and the song exceeds expectations once it reaches the chorus. It can be compared to songs from her pre-pandemic album, “Lover.” 
  1. “Maroon” 

At a much slower cadence than “Lavender Haze,” Swift does what she does best on the second track of the album, “Maroon.” The lyricism in the song exceeded any previous expectations I had for it. The song peaks at its bridge when Swift uses her lower tone to grasp listeners’ attention. The song’s chorus is somewhat repetitive, which is where the song suffers. The song can be compared to works on her second pandemic project, “Evermore.”
  1. “Anti-Hero”

“Anti-Hero,” which appears to be the single off of “Midnights,” is a song that seems as if it was written to become a tik-tok trend. The lyrics are relatable, however, the chorus and lyrics, “It’s me..hi… I’m the problem, it’s me,” are extremely repetitive and, in my opinion, outdated. The song’s verses are where Swift excels, with lyrics that anyone can relate to. The melody is comparable to songs on her hit album, “1989.”
  1. “Snow On The Beach” (feat. Lana Del Ray)

“Snow On The Beach” is the only song on the album in which another artist accompanies Swift. The song is slow, but its lyrics are a true reflection of Swift’s writing style. Lana serves backing vocals for the song, which are haunting and mysterious. It would be ideal if Lana appeared throughout the song instead of solely through backing vocals. The song can be compared to songs on her album, “Folklore.” 
  1. “You’re On Your Own, Kid”

On this track, Swift showcases her skills. The song is currently in competition for my top spot on the album. The lyrics are incredibly relatable, and the bridge is written to pure perfection. Swift is in tune with the listener’s emotions on the track. The song can be compared to work on her album, “Evermore.”
  1. “Midnight Rain”

The transition from the previous song to this one is unexpected, but it works. The song is most notable in its production. The vocal distortion on the song, in my opinion, makes the song stick out from its predecessors. It’s different from Swift’s previous work and the previous songs on the album. The song can be compared to her work onReputation.”
  1. “Question…?”

“Question..?” is another song that sounds like it was written for the radio. Its lyrics make the song sound a bit juvenile, and its production sounds like something that has been done before. The song’s redeeming factor is its verses, where Swift uses her lyricism to make up for its previous issues. The song is comparable to other tracks on her previous album, “Reputation.”
  1. “Vigilante S***”

This song was written for fans of Taylor Swift. Its lyrics are encoded with messages that only Swift’s fans could decode. However, due to its production and cadence, I find the song only listenable when I feel a certain way. Some of its lyrics are cheesy, but overall it is a fun track comparable to her work on “Reputation.”
  1. “Bejeweled” 

“Bejeweled” is a fun song. Its lyrics and production are not as good as previous tracks, but overall, it is a song I can see becoming a big hit. At the time of writing this, the song is currently going viral on TikTok, with various trends accompanying it. Swift also released a music video for the track, which is encoded with secret meanings for Taylor’s fans to uncover. The song is comparable to work on her album “Lover.” 
  1. “Labyrinth” 

“Labyrinth” is my least favorite song on the album at the time of writing. The song is too slow for my liking, and I feel its production does not match the lyrics. The track is unforgettable, and it sounds like something Taylor has done before on her pandemic project, “Folklore.” 
  1. “Karma”

“Karma” is a good time. The track has catchy lyrics and a fun chorus. The song has already gained traction on various platforms, becoming one of the most streamed songs on the album. On the song, Taylor returns to making the pop music that made her highly successful in 2014 on her hit album, “1989.” 
  1. “Sweet Nothing”

“Sweet Nothing” has become one of my least favorite songs on the album. The hook and its lyrics are, in my opinion, boring and lackluster. The track suffers from the greatness of the songs before and after it; it seems like a filler track. Its bridge is interesting, but not comparable in quality to other songs on the album. It sounds like something out of Swift’s 4th studio album, “Red.” 
  1. “Mastermind”

“Mastermind” is a highlight in Taylor’s discography. The song sounds like something she has not done before. Its turn in production is unexpected, and the song overall is a fun ride. Its bridge is catchy and its lyrics appear relatable to the listener. The song is comparable to work on her album “Reputation.” 

All in all, Midnights is a fun ride where Taylor Swift often returns to her classic pop sound. Taylor will embark on her “Eras Tour” in April, where she is expected to perform songs from all her albums. If I were to rate Midnights on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 9. Swift has also released a deluxe version of the album with seven additional tracks, which I would also recommend. The album is a fun ride and I recommend it to anyone interested, or previous fans of Taylor’s work.