March For Our Lives

From the bustling streets of Manhattan, Los Angeles, D.C., and many other major cities across the United States on Saturday March 24, 2018, hundreds of thousands of people protested on behalf of March For Our Lives. This ongoing protest emphasizes gun control in America and how new regulations would be beneficial to all, especially students. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida in mid February became yet another victim to a school shooter. With seventeen students and faculty fatalities, some survivors have become extremely active in the March For Our Lives message as they have directly been affected by the problems revolving around gun control. This small group of survivors has sparked a new level of perseverance for this cause. Because of these teenagers, the nationwide protest has grown ever so larger and more connected. With social media as a main source of communication, the hashtag #NeverAgain, correlating to the deadly school shootings that students have faced in the past decade, has become a movement. An estimated 800,000 protesters attended the march in D.C. which may be one of the largest protests in D.C., larger than the Women’s March that brought around 500,000 people. People of all kinds of backgrounds, ages, and races came together for this event to promote the safety of their very lives. Guest speakers, artists, and survivors gave speeches before the commencement of the march in the major cities. Funding for the event came from citizens across the country and even internationally. Musical artists, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Ben Platt, created a new song with some proceeds going towards the march.

People of all ages have been affected by the recent massacres, proving how change is needed with gun violence in the country. The teenagers behind this event were not alone in the organization of the marches, however with their impact and support, the marches were more driven and passionate for all.

1200px-March_For_Our_Lives.svg.png
wikipedia.com