JCHS Student’s College Search

Photo courtesy of Google.

Throughout my personal college search experience, I went through many ups and downs whether it was touring schools or the application process. I went on as many tours as possible because I didn’t know where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. I did a lot of research as well, and now I am committed to West Chester University and I plan on majoring in Media and Culture and minoring in Marketing. I invited some fellow students to share their experiences with their college search. Some of the questions I asked were: 

1. How do you feel about graduating and starting a new chapter in your life?  
  2. Did you find the college search more stressful or exciting to start a new chapter? 

In reading the responses, I learned many individuals found the application process not as stressful as they thought it was going to be because of the Common App. Common App allows you to fill out one big application that is sent to all your chosen colleges and has each school organized so you can answer more specific questions that that school may want to know. The process was very organized and the Common app made it easy to understand. Many also shared how they went into their college search unsure of where to look, but Naviance and the JCHS Guidance counselors helped make the search process easy and stress-free. 

Photo courtesy of Google.

Getting more personal, one response stuck out to me the most: “I was always generally excited to leave high school and begin college ever since I was a freshman. I still am, but I feel that as a senior, it definitely has become more real and a little scary. It’s scary to think about the fact that I may never see or talk to some of the people from JCHS again! But, I hope to stay in contact with my close friends. We are only 18 and many of us are leaving New Jersey and moving to either a new state or even new country. We don’t know anyone and won’t have our parents or siblings there to guide us in these very new locations. I think that is definitely one of the most terrifying things about starting college. I am however very excited to make new friendships and explore my career/begin my future!” 

Getting closer to something that many of us have talked about for awhile is scary; thinking about leaving what we have known for 18 years and changing places and people. If you take a minute to truly think, we have seen the same people every day for our entire lives: elementary school, middle school, and high school. It almost feels like we’re leaving our lives behind and starting a new one, which is true. This is a good and exciting experience that most students experience after high school, but we’re not alone. Everyone going into their freshman year of college is going through similar feelings.

Overall, this process definitely had its ups and downs. It gave individuals a sense of adulthood getting to research career opportunities and where they may end up for the next four years.  Despite the differences of attending a university, community college, trade school, or even going straight into the workforce, graduating seniors can expect to meet a whole new set of people and learn different ways of life. It may be sad at times to think about leaving your family and friends, but it is exciting to explore the real world and learn how to truly live.