Michigan Wolverines Win National Championship

Photo courtesy of Detroit Free Pass).

After a thrilling 15-0 season, the University of Michigan’s Football team took a National Championship win for the first time since 1997. On January 8th, the Michigan Wolverines defeated the Washington Huskies 34-13. The Michigan offense remained at the forefront with Donovan Edwards running a 41-yard touchdown in the first quarter, and Blake Corum running 134 yards for two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. The Huskies remained strong with quarterback Michael Penix Jr passing 244 yards, but ultimately were unable to defeat the Wolverines. 

Despite the team’s excellent performance on the field, there were underlying dramas and scandals. Head coach Jim Harbaugh faced a six-game suspension due to a sign-stealing operation controversy (NCAA). Upon Jim Harbaugh’s return, Wolverine fans were skeptical of how this scandal could damage the team’s reputation. However, once Harbaugh was back on the playing field, and led the players to victory, he was able to successfully retain his legacy.

Rumors were also circulating that Harbaugh would depart the team after his ninth season. Just a few weeks after taking the Wolverines for victory, Harbaugh had confirmed that he would be leaving his Michigan position and accepting an offer to be the head coach for the Los Angeles Chargers. (ESPN). Without the head coach, fans and players are wondering how the team will perform next year.

But the team isn’t just losing their head coach to their NFL but many of their prominent players as they are entering the NFL draft. Junior quarterback JJ McCarthy has announced his plans to terminate his senior year and enter the NFL draft. McCarthy is arguably one of the Wolverines’ strongest quarterback players in history so without him on the field, the team may suffer.

Photo courtesy of AP News.

Nonetheless, the 2023-2024 University of Michigan Football team has been described as “arguably the most talented Michigan team in decades”(ESPN). The players, coaches, and trainers put in much effort and time to lead the school to victory. The team will experience many changes for the next season with a new head coach and players, but the fans will still cheer “Go Blue!”