Undefeated Caldwell Chiefs Lose 33-28 to Lakeland Lancers in the Second Round of States

Photo Courtesy of Amy Rodak.

The Caldwell Chiefs Football team has been undefeated since the 2020 season. Their highest-winning high school football streak came to an abrupt end on November 3rd. The Chiefs were in the 5th seed against the dominant and determined team Lakeland Regional High School in the 2023 NJSIAA North 2, Round 2 State Semifinals. With Caldwell being one of the top seeds, they brought in a 37-win streak, which ended on one Friday night against back-to-back sectional champions. 

It was only the first quarter of the game when #21 Dom Velardi scored a 26-yard touchdown with the help of a pass from #11 Louie Anemone. Just to add the extra point, #5 Sean Mertuagh connected the kick to make the score Caldwell 7 – Lakeland 0. The Lancers didn’t think much of the touchdown with the confidence they had going into the game. With only three minutes left of the first quarter, #13 Jake Spear scored a thirty-six-yard touchdown with help from #10 Colin Sabric. Again add the extra point by #60 Eyden Linares to construct a tie at the end of the first half of the game with the score Caldwell 7 – Lakeland 7. 

Within the start of the second quarter, the Chiefs’ offense and defense started strong. #21 Dom Velardi through a stop on the ball where #5 Sean Murtagh quickly intercepted the ball and strung the ball along sixty – three yards. This led to a touchdown with the score at Caldwell 21 – Lakeland 7.  Not only can Murtagah complete interceptions but in under a minute left in the second quarter Kyle Keyes ran the ball ninety-five – five yards to complete the touchdown 

According to Jersey Sporting News “despite Caldwell’s devastating loss, the team spirit is powerful and the Chiefs will come back stronger than ever. Seniors Jake Gruzas, Troy Ford, Louie Anemone, Dom Velardi, Joey Marinello, Mike Derosa, Charlie Male and Julian Casale have contributed all they have to Caldwell Football and their dedication towards the team with always stick with the legacy of the 23-24 season”. (JerseySportingNews.com). After this game, the Chiefs realized how much football brought the towns together. It was an emotional loss, the coaches reminded the players that they worked their hardest and that they played their best. The Caldwell Football team has never thought down about themselves or their team. They never doubted one another, and they kept pushing through throughout the entirety of the season.