Haunted High School FBLA

Photo Courtesy of Google.

On Saturday, October 28, 2023, the FBLA hosted a “Haunted High School” throughout James Caldwell High School for one night only. Alongside the Haunted High School, there was a free Trunk or Treat available as well, which was sponsored by West Caldwell Recreation and Police Department. FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) is a club organized by Mr. Harper and Ms. Hect. FBLA is the largest business Career and Technical Student Organization. The Haunted High School started at 3:00 pm and ended at 8:00 pm. Depending on the age of each participant, the prices varied. For example, for Adults and Teens, it cost $6 to enter, for children (6-year-olds to 12-year-olds) it cost $4, and for children under 5, the cost was $3. My 3 friends and I decided to support our school and attend the Haunted High School.

We entered James Caldwell High School, and we waited in line to pay. All around we saw children dressed up in costumes and excited to go inside. Seeing everybody so excited only made my friends and I more curious about what the FBLA club had put together, and what the Haunted High School truly entailed. Before participants entered, a black curtain was hanging from the ceiling and every once in a while an FBLA member wearing a Pennywise mask would peek through.  As we walked through, there were different students in all sorts of unique costumes. For example, there was somebody dressed up in a prisoner costume chained to a chair trying to escape, while a creepy scientist was in a science lab doing an experiment that required different organs. Seeing the students so engaged while acting in the Haunted High School made the experience a lot better. At the end, there was hot chocolate available as well. The Haunted High School was a fun experience and got my friends and me into the Halloween spirit.

I contacted Mr. Harper (one of the leaders of the club) to ask him more questions about the Haunted High School. I asked him about the different processes members of FBLA went through to make the Haunted High School happen. I also asked him how long it took to set up since the members of FBLA did an incredible job of turning James Caldwell High School into a haunted High School. Mr. Harper said “Well, we picked the date and were given the go-ahead last May. We shopped for the items beginning in late August up until the day before the event. We started collecting donations and cardboard to make props in late September.” Mr. Harper then went on to say how the FBLA club “spent the two weeks before the event planning the setup and making the props. We spent about 8 hours on the Friday night before and the Saturday morning of the event setting up the scenes.” The FBLA club put in a lot of effort to make the Haunted High School a great experience for everyone.

Additionally, Future Business Leaders of America member Ryan Ostrowski who is a James Caldwell High School Senior was extremely dedicated to the role of a prisoner and stated he “Would pop out and scare my friends to perfect my craft for weeks in advance.” Ryan Ostrowski wore an orange jumpsuit and had skeleton makeup on.

Additionally, his foot was chained to a chair and he would jump out and scream at participants. The time, and dedication that the Future Business Leaders of America members put into creating an incredible, immersive experience shows how much they love to be a part of FBLA.