Photo courtesy of TMZ.
NBA All-Star Weekend
March 14, 2024
Photo courtesy of Kevin Winter/Getty Images via The Recording Academy.
Grammy's Recap
March 14, 2024

The JCHS Recreational Basketball League

The JCHS Recreational Basketball League

The JCHS Recreational Basketball League has always been a fun way for athletes from every grade to come together and compete against each other. Students are allowed to pick their teams of about 7-10 people and get thrown into a schedule of regular-season games, playoffs, culminating in a championship game. The regular season this year has been full of good games, standout players, and sleeper teams that have made statement wins. Let’s take a look at what we know thus far heading into the playoffs:

“youtube.com”

MVP Candidates:

Nick Bergamotto (The Stinky Sucklers): Bergamotto can do it all. He shows some of the best versatility in the league being able to dish to his teammates, shoot the 3 ball, and run the point guard position. Averaging about 22 points per game, Nick has been the heart of the Stinky Sucklers and will look to continue his excellent season as the Sucklers look to capture the championship trophy.

Jordan Catrambone (Junkyard Divas): Standing at 5’3”, Catrambone has not let his height get in the way of his playing. Jordan presents himself as a small and shifty guard who can shoot the 3 ball effectively. Once he gets on fire, it is very hard to stop him, as he brings the heart and hype to his time. He will look to guide the juniors to a trophy and heat up in the postseason.

Louis LaMedica (The Scammers): LaMedica presents himself as an absolute sharpshooter, knocking down 3 ball after 3 ball. Having played high school basketball as an underclassman, LaMedica has dedicated time to his shooting form and it has shown. He has kept The Scammers in every one of their games; All of their losses have been less than six points. He and The Scammers will look to make an unexpected run in the playoffs.

Title Contenders:

The Stinky Sucklers: The Sucklers go into the playoffs with only one loss in a tight-knit game against the Junkyard Divas. Having arguably the best depth in the league, all seven players see sufficient game time. Nick Bergamotto and Peter Murray present themselves as the scoring specialists, getting to the bucket and racking up points at the line as well. The team also has a variety of speedy defenders including Jimmy Rizzo, Lucas Lattimer, and Gil Prial, while Luke Kurzum and Aiden Nobile present themselves on both sides of the court. This team is on a revenge tour and will look to avenge their lone loss in the championship game.

Junkyard Divas: The Junkyard Divas are the only undefeated team left in play. Ty Fredo, Jordan Catrambone, and Luke Maida have been the offensive powers of the team, while Marc Simone and Harry Boland have controlled the paint and served as the central rebounders. Fredo has been an absolute bandit this season, demonstrating his raw athleticism with an average of 21 points per game. Maida has been bullseye thus far from 3 point range, killing it from the corner. The Divas will look to continue their undefeated season and cap it off with the championship trophy.

Sleeper Teams:

The Scammers: The Scammers have a triple threat with Louis LaMedica, Aidan Padover, and Matt Paris. The three are responsible for most of The Scammers’ points, frontcourt, and defense. With four losses going into the playoffs, they may not look good on paper, but this team has all the talent to make a run in the postseason.

The Menaces: The Menaces, led by Clay Tofanelli, have an array of athletes on their team including Pat Capozzoli, Nick Silverthorne, and Noah Pankiewicz. They have solid offense with many quick and speedy guards as well as physical defense. With only a couple losses to their name, it would be no surprise if The Menaces made it past the first round or even further.

Red Rockets: The Red Rockets, the youngest team on this list with all sophomores, have exploded as one of the top teams in the league. Led by Louie Anemone and Ryan Trafford, the team has only suffered a few losses this season and can pull off some upsets in the playoffs. All of their losses have been close games, and their physicality and athleticism has propelled them to be a real threat come the end of February.