Cross Country Team Continues Winning Streak

Image courtesy of photographer Emily Morvey.
Cross country team at Branch Brook Park Conference Championship meet. Image courtesy of photographer Emily Morvey.

The fall sports have started, and cross country has taken off with another great start. After winning the division and the conference two years in a row, the girls team is currently defending that title starting off at 8-0. The captains of the team are seniors Jacqueline Mescia, Charlyne Burki, and Katie Fierro. Senior Michelle Wiedman also provides veteran leadership. When asked about the success the team has had this season, Captain Jacqueline Mescia responded, “We have a good team this year with a freshman Natalie Ostrowski, 4 sophomores: Hannah Fierro, Sam Gargiulio, Dana Elphick, and Claudia Canale, and one junior; Cassidy Muller. We appear to be a strong team and are working hard to win the division and the conference again.” Captain Charlyne Burki added, “We are looking forward to being undefeated for the 3rd year in a row. We have been running farther and doing more conditioning than last year and it has been paying off. Our record is 8-0 and we just beat our two toughest competitors, Cedar Grove and Bloomfield. The key runners on the team are Natalie Ostrowski, Dana Elphick, Jacqueline Mescia, Katie Fierro, Cassidy Muller, and Michelle Wiedman. We will continue to work hard and stay undefeated.”

Back row, left to right: Will McCoy, Josh Kopen, Mike Pabst, Matt Kmon. Front row, left to right: Peter King, Nicky Barone, Joe Schott, Max Emma. Image courtesy of photographer Emily Morvey.

For the boys cross country team, they have also gotten off to a hot start. Captain Will McCoy said, “The team is improving a lot already and we will continue to get better as the season goes on. We have all been working very hard and it has been paying off in the races.” The varsity runners are Will McCoy, Mike Pabst, Cameron Volz, Dean Caravela, Joe Schott, Michael Duca, Frank Demunno, Daniel Veltre, Charlie Fierro, and Steven Ferrarese. The captains are Mike Pabst and Will McCoy. McCoy’s 17:29 marks an overall team best, and Mike Pabst is right behind him with an 18:15.  When asked about this year’s team, Pabst said, “The team this year is a lot better than previous years, everyone is running good times and we hope to do well in the upcoming meets.”

Josh Kopen in the arms of Will McCoy. Image courtesy of photographer Emily Morvey.