Coffee House 2014: Cozy Cabin

Image courtesy of lauze.com.

After school on Friday, December 5th, members of the Class of 2016 Class Council were hard at work rearranging and decorating the cafeteria to resemble a cozy cabin. This was the theme for Coffee House 2014. The Coffee House is an annual event organized and hosted by the junior class. It usually takes place around the holiday season and promotes festivities. The main purpose of Coffee House, other than to serve coffee, is to entertain members of the audience with performances. In the weeks before Coffee House, students and teachers are given the opportunity to sign up to exhibit their talents in front of a small and casual audience.

This year, there were 21 acts ranging from singers to piano players to magicians. The usual favorites were present: Zayed Sedikki with his ever popular magic show; Garrett Bell with his easy confidence and humorous rendition of the Hanukkah Song; and John Franklin wooing the audience with his melodious voice and acoustic guitar. The latter, a senior, said, “I can’t believe it’s finally over. I’ve been involved in every Coffee House in my four years and the ending was bittersweet. I played the best I have ever played in any coffee house and I wouldn’t have wanted it to end any other way. To see everyone I’ve come in contact with these last few years from teachers to friends in the audience for my last one was truly touching and a moment I will never forget. I want to just let everyone know to enjoy every bit of their high school experience and make the most of it.”

Other featured acts included The Trio, made up of Alex Bambrick, Alexa Fillion, and Emily Morvey, Erica Blanco and Linda Perez, Jodi Maloney and Justine Martinez, Nick Russo, and many more.

For the Class Council members, organizing Coffee House is a stressful but rewarding experience. Between gathering donations from various businesses, securing sound equipment, and coordinating the set list, the Class Council had been busy for the weeks prior to the event. Sammy Felten, Activities Director for the Class Council, said, “There were many points throughout the weeks before Coffee House when I didn’t think we would be able to pull it off. Being stressed out was an understatement. But all the weight was lifted off my shoulders after seeing what a great turnout we had and how much everyone enjoyed it.” The night went smoothly overall, with great decorations with the help of interior decorator Cindy Blanco, food donations from Gourmet Cafe and many parents, and the hard work and dedication of the Class Council. Audience members loved it too; Charlyne Burki, co-president of the 2015 Class Council, the hosts of last year’s Coffee House, and audience member of this year’s Coffee House, praised, “The Coffee House was a success because many people showed up; it allowed teachers and students to come together and interact outside of school. There was a great variety of awesome acts. I enjoyed myself, and I think everyone else did too.”

Congratulations to the Class of 2016 Class Council for a job well done!