The Girls Lacrosse Team Returns

“twitter.com”

It’s been almost two years since the JCHS Girls Lacrosse team’s last game and so much has changed. Since the 2019 season, the team has lost eight key players. This season will be an adjustment, with the majority of the team being new to the varsity level, and some not having played a game in two years. But that will not stop them from being successful and working hard to be the best they can be. 

With a very small team this year, only having fourteen players for a 12-per-team game, and one senior still in their volleyball season, the girls have little to no bench depth to work with, but again this will not slow them down. The team is made up of very competitive and athletic girls who are extremely excited to finally have a high school lacrosse season again. 

The girls lacrosse Chiefs are currently led by seniors Alexa Camerino, Isabella Camerino, and Isabella Marinello, along with Jamie Pierce who is finishing her volleyball season this week. The team is eagerly awaiting her return, being a key defender to their lineup. 

Juniors Jenna Goldbach and Drexel University-commit Kate Quinn hold vital roles in the midfield along with sophomore Lily Caravela and freshman Teagan Quinn. The defense is led by their goalie, junior Sarah Catizone with seniors Alexa Camerino and Isabella Marinello, junior Izabella Garcia, and sophomore Maggie Tierney right in front of her. 

The attack is led by senior Isabella Camerino, along with junior Julia Duren-Lubanski and sophomore Grace Suda. With nearly all players being advanced and club lacrosse players in their past, the Caldwell Girls lacrosse team is looking at a promising season.

The girls played hard their first two scrimmages, beating Wayne Valley 14-12 in a close game, followed by a tough loss against Millburn, who is ranked 18th in the state of NJ, with an outcome of 11-16. Although one scrimmage did not result in a victory, the girls played very well together, and instead of aiming for wins, worked their hardest to learn how they can play best with one another and utilize their strengths in their upcoming games. They are all extremely talented, competitive, and enthusiastic about this season. 

Senior Isabella Marinello, who is also committed to Stockton University for lacrosse said, “We truly have a lot of talent all over the field this year, and with not having a season last year, it makes us all 10 times more hungry, especially for some of the seniors who will never play again. I am so excited to see what this season brings and how far our potential will bring us.” 

With all fourteen players losing their season last year, everyone cannot wait to get back on the field. With a fast paced season, and a full schedule of games, the girls have their work cut out for them.

They played their first game of the season on April 19th at their home field, and beat Indian Hills 16-1. It was a great game to get the season started and the girls were extremely excited to win their first game. It is a great confidence boost to continue on to the rest of the season.

Head Coach Angela Giampino-Vasi is just as excited as her players, stating, “After not having a season last year, we are very excited to be playing again. We are a small but strong team that has been connecting very well on the field. We look forward to a great season!”

Assistant Coach Nicole Rubino also added, “I am so proud of all the hard work the girls put into this season. I believe that losing last year’s season has brought us closer together, and now our team is more like a family. We may not have the biggest team in Caldwell’s history, but we definitely have the most hustle. I’m excited to see how far we can go this season!” 

The Coaches are just as excited as the players to get back on the field and play their hardest. Nothing can stop the girls lacrosse Chiefs from being the best they can be.