The bowling team can’t spare to see the season end

As we reach the end of the winter season, one word defines the JCHS bowling season: unexpected.  Early on, the team wasn’t able to produce wins as much as they would’ve liked.  The road started off bumpy for the Chiefs, as they lost to Livingston, Seton Hall, and West Orange.  Then, with great leadership from sophomore Will McCoy, the Chiefs caught fire.  They started off by beating Milburn and Weequahic to push their record to 2-3.  The Chiefs were looking like a well rounded unit heading into their match against Livingston High School.  Senior bowler Chris Dalla Riva recalled the preparations for the match, “We knew we were the underdogs, but we also knew we could take down the mighty Lancers.”  Dalla Riva added that on the bus ride to the match coach Dubas said to the team, “If you guys win a game against Livingston, I’ll buy you guys pizza.”  In response to Dubas, senior Andrew Goodman asked, “What if we win the match?”  Dubas replied, “If you win the match I will personally finance the end of the year party at Fuddruckers.”  Well the coach needs to take out his wallet, because Caldwell did end up winning that match two games to one. This upset of Livingston, ranked sixth in the state of New Jersey, is remembered fondly as the pinnacle of the 2013 Bowling Season.  Senior Sean R. Dyer explained the feeling as, “I was somewhat shocked at first, but then I realized that we were really capable of beating them, and that we could beat them again.  Which we did.” After the upset, the Chiefs moved on to the Essex County Tournament.  As a team the Chiefs didn’t shine, but individually Will McCoy had a spectacular tournament finishing third overall in the individual bracket.   After the tournament, lightening struck twice for the Chiefs, beating Livingston again.  This Cinderella season ended with a humble 7-9 record for the Chiefs, but Will McCoy has a chance to do very well in the state tournament after moving on, during his match on Monday February 11.  McCoy had this to say, “I feel that the amount of effort I made when I practiced is the biggest reason why I did well in both tournaments.”  A roller coaster season for the Chiefs will come to an end, but the memory of upsetting Livingston twice will last a lifetime for the bowlers of JCHS.