Athlete Profile: Mike Dalla Riva

As Bonnel field gets covered for the winter months, the mats are rolled out as the Caldwell Chiefs Wrestling team embarks on another highly anticipated season. I spoke with senior captain Mike Dalla Riva to see what the Chiefs have in store for this year.

Q: Coming to the end of a great high school career, what has led to all of your success?
A: Leading to my success has been my determination to get better and having great teammates and coaches helping me along the way. I would not be where I am today without them.

Q: How is the team looking for this season?
A: This should be one of the best teams I’ve ever wrestled for in my four years. This team has done the most offseason wrestling this year since coach [Gary] Garamella has been the head coach. We have the potential to compete for another sectional title.

Q: Are there any younger guys that are going to make an impact this year?
A: Ryan Condit, Ray Iodice and Nick Russomanno are wrestlers who have been in the varsity lineup and who have wrestled all year round who will be leaders on our team. We also have an incoming freshman, Dean Caravela, who will be one of our top wrestlers down low.

Q: Any plans for you after high school?
A: I will most likely be attending West Virginia University with no plans on wrestling, but I’m not 100 percent sure yet.

Q: Last question…as a Jets fan; Sanchez, Tebow or McElroy?
A: Tebow, easy. He’s a winner.